Full Stack Developer
at Top Hat in Toronto, Canada
About the Gig
- Come work here because we’re making a dent in the universe
- Come work here because we have a brilliant team
- Come work here because we care about software craftsmanship
- Come work here because we don’t take ourselves too seriously
- Come work here because we care about and iterate on our development process
- At least a few years of web development experience under your belt.
- Be able to put together robust, maintainable systems. Hacking together code for one-off projects isn’t going to cut it in this shop.
- Degree in a technical field is preferred, but not essential.
- Be super smart and get things done.
- You understand the difference between smart shortcuts to take and a ugly hack.
You will be will be working a variety of projects relating to our flagship web application. These will include frontend MVC application design and development, DOM optimization, and scalable and modular HTML/CSS . In terms of backend development, you will be working on our Django application and creating lightning fast REST APIs.
We like to hire developers who have solid full stack experience but definitely value, and accommodate, developers who choose to be more focused on either front-end and back-end development.
You should be comfortable with most of the following:
- Semantic HTML and HTML5 concepts
- CSS 3.0
- Automated unit and integration testing
- REST APIs
- Databases (Hopefully including query performance and optimization)
We think the best sign of a good developer is interesting projects they’ve done on their own time, not just things they were assigned by their boss or in university. So please showcase any cool side projects, open source contributions or community involvement.
About Top Hat
If you’ve been to university, you understand the nut Top Hat is trying to crack. Your professor starts to talk, and you really do have every intention of listening. But within about five minutes, your good intentions fly out the window and you begin to surf Facebook, catch some Zz’s, or if you’re feeling really ambitious start working on a problem set for a completely unrelated class. When you join our team, you’ll be working on classroom interaction software and help higher education find its mojo!
Your work will touch hundreds of thousands of paying customers (300,000 and growing every day). We only officially launched a little over two years ago, but we’re already profitable and are growing like crazy! Lucky for you, we’re small but mighty. That means you get to touch will be yours. Well, kind of. We follow the “Facebook approach,” meaning we give developers complete ownership of features.
The fabulous life of the Top Hat engineering team comes with other sweet perks too.
- We have hack-a-thons, where developers get to spend time working on ideas they are passionate about.
- There’s also lots of free deliciousness. What’s up in house chef… Lunch, Breakfast and unlimited and drinks? Oh, and did we mention StarCraft Street Fighter throw-downs at lunch?
- Located at College subway station, with subsidized metro pass
- Outstanding company culture, with a team that is super smart, highly motivated & stoked to be a part of a company that is changing the face of education.
- Our investors’ portfolio companies include Salesforce, Yammer & box.net. We’re in good hands and in good company.
- Competitive health and dental benefits
- We are looking for people who want to grow with us and are in it for the long haul.
- We are one of the top education technology companies in North America (named one of the Top 50 Companies to Watch by Deloitte Consulting)
- You can dress at your leisure (as long as you are fine with the engineering traditions of Plaid Tuesdays and Tip Top Fridays!)