Founders and Startup Veterans: CEO, COO, CTO
at Axiom Zen in Vancouver
Axiom Zen is a startup that builds startups. We specialize in new venture creation, taking ideas from paper to product-market fit.
We believe traditional approaches to innovation have stopped working; the strategic landscape is changing too fast. By the time carefully-laid plans are implemented, they are already outdated. A successful endeavour doesn’t play catch-up!
Our team of fifty founder-quality engineers, designers, and product leads combine a wealth of experience from fast-growing startups as well as companies like Apple, Google, and SpaceX to work on experimental, cutting-edge projects.
With low hierarchy and an open, supportive environment, we can give you space to create the best work of your life.
We are looking for a talented and startup-minded product, technology, and operations leader to join our growing team in Vancouver, BC; San Francisco, CA; or Santiago, Chile.
At Axiom Zen, we look for interesting opportunities; then we help build companies to address those opportunities. Mostly this involves building software-driven products or businesses from scratch to early levels of product-market fit.
Your contribution will depend on your skills and interests: whether focused on inception to MVP, market validation, the subsequent growth stage, or a combination of the above. You will work closely with an expert team of designers, software engineers, and strategy folks, but you will be the freedom to make your own mistakes and breakthroughs.
To succeed in this role, you should have a broad technology background as well as an innate understanding of critical business factors determining the impact of web- or mobile-driven products. You may have built your own startups or businesses in the past. Successes and failures are both relevant!
Fundamentally, this role is a barrel. To quote Keith Rabois:
“If you think about people, there are two categories of high-quality people: there is the ammunition, and then there are the barrels. You can add all the ammunition you want, but if you have only five barrels in your company, you can literally do only five things simultaneously […] someone who can take an idea from conception to live and it’s almost perfect […] This kind of person can pull people with them. They can charge up the hill. They can motivate their team, and they can edit themselves autonomously.”
If that sounds like you: Apply!
We’re Looking For
You have a deep knowledge of web and mobile technology, software design patterns, and product management methodologies, as well as a love for building inspiring products that set new standards in usability and functionality.
- Deep expertise and passion for technology and software development
- Native command of metrics, analytics, and data-informed decision-making
- Self-motivated and willing to learn new concepts, technologies, and processes
- Exceptional organization, planning, and communication skills
- Expertise in design and UX, especially when it comes to modern, interaction-heavy web and mobile applications
- Software engineering training, experience, or expertise, particularly on large distributed systems or in lean, rapid prototyping and data-driven iteration
- Experience building, training, and leading a Tier 1 product management organization
- Bachelor of Science or higher in Computer Science or equivalent
How to Apply
- If you believe you’re a fit, please email us with your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org, links to active social media profiles and anything else you think we should see. Also please answer the following hypothetical question (between 100 and 250 words total):
- If you could pitch any technology product to any celebrity figure of your choice, what would you pitch, how would you pitch it, and why do you want it to exist?
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive salary, exceptional benefits, and generous stock/equity.
A few highlights:
- Premium Insurance. Axiom Zen provides full health, life, and AD&D insurance as well as premium vision, dental, and extended health benefits.
- Active Professional Development. We actively participate in the development of our team. You have access to a Professional Development budget allocated separate from your compensation to be spent on conferences, classes, books, and any other resources to maintain and expand your skill set, industry knowledge, and professional growth. Or take someone interesting to coffee for in-person learning.
- Speaker Travel Budget. We believe strongly that all our team members should have the opportunity to become leaders in their fields. To support this, we have a standard policy to cover travel + accommodations for speaking engagements anywhere in the Americas and are very willing to support speaking engagements elsewhere around the world as well.
- Mandatory 15 Off Days Per Year. We have a high standard for impact, but we insist on work-life harmony and believe in balance. Minimum of 15 off days every year, with no hard limit.
- Transport Reimbursement. We cover public transport to work and back. If you bike to work instead, we set aside $1000/year for bike maintenance. If you walk to work, we’ll bonus you the same amount as a rental subsidy.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate by race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Recent jobs at Axiom Zen
- Analytical Storyteller / Product Marketing Lead at Axiom Zen in Vancouver 18-04-2016
- Full Cycle Technical Recruiter - Web & Mobile Startups at Axiom Zen in Vancouver 26-02-2016
- Polyglot Software Engineer at Axiom Zen in Vancouver 24-02-2016
- Senior Designer - Mobile & Web at Axiom Zen in Vancouver 24-02-2016