UI Design Developer
at Later (Latergramme) in Vancouver
At Later we believe in the power of Images. Images to communicate quickly, Images to connect disparate people, and Images as the best way to convey personal meaning. We also believe software should be so easy to use – you shouldn’t need a manual or a sales demo. We build that software. At Later we are becoming the leading platform for managing visual social-media content.
What are we like to be around? Glad you asked! We are a hard-working, competitive, fun-loving band of miscreants. We have rubber duckies on our desks, KPI’s on our walls and board games and beers tend to be broken out on Fridays.
What we’re looking for:
Our team is growing quickly, we are set to double in size this year and we are looking for a full time UI Design Developer. As a member of the Product team, you will be working with our UI/UX designers and collaborating with the engineering team to bridge the gap between graphical design and technical implementation to create an attractive, easy-to-use and powerful UI. We are looking for developers who are passionate about the products they create and who are always looking for ways to improve the user experience and design.
You should have strong expertise in HTML, CSS, and JS, a good understanding of Front End implementation principles, experience with modern Front End frameworks (Ember, Angular, React) and single page applications and experience building cross-browser reactive UI’s.
What we value:
Our core cultural values are manifested in our practices and processes every day. We highly value transparency and fairness in everything we do. We look for people who like to move quickly, are ambitious yet humble and have a great sense of humour. If you have a mischievous spark of fun, that’s even better.
- A natural tendency to take initiative, achieve results and generally #GSD
- A desire to constantly stay organized and create efficiency using technology, bringing order to chaos and uncertainty
- Teamwork is your middle name. You want to brainstorm with the best of them and are continually looking for ways to do it better
- A humbleness to recognize that sometimes you’ll need to apologize and admit mistakes (we’re all human after all!)
- Understand and work well in startup culture – be able and willing to take on all sorts of tasks and responsibilities
We list our values and beliefs first because they are non-negotiable; if you’re still reading then check out some of the responsibilities you will own
- Take ownership of the implementation of our UI, with a strong influence and participation in design aspects.
- Develop and deliver new feature enhancements to our customers.
- Create frequent iterations for prototyping and delivery of new features.
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Test and debug the UI alongside software engineers and designers
Qualifications & Technical Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Interactive Design, or similar, or equivalent work experience.
- Proven, strong experience implementing designs with HTML, CSS, and CSS pre-processors (we use Sass)
- At least some experience with modern client-side frameworks – we use Ember, but experience in others also fine (Backbone, Angular, React)
- Experience or education in design and usability is a plus
- Entrepreneurial by nature, you excel in a fast-paced, agile environment where critical thinking and strong problem solving skills are a given
- The tech startup industry is where you want to be. You thrive on the cutting edge and get excited to learn more, push boundaries and innovate every day.
- An avid Instagrammer who loves photos and pictures is a bonus.
Why choose Later:
Located in Gastown, the startup hub of Vancouver, Later is pleased to offer all our employees a competitive salary, a chance to participate in the success of the company through equity, medical and dental benefits and a wellness program.
If you think you might be a great fit with our team, we’d love to hear from you. Send us the link to your online portfolio. A resume is good, but we want to see your work.
Recent jobs at Later (Latergramme)
- Junior Customer Support & Happiness at Later (Latergramme) in Vancouver 14-11-2016
- UI Designer (Senior) at Later (Latergramme) in Vancouver 26-10-2016
- Communications Designer at Later (Latergramme) in Vancouver 10-08-2016
- Front End Developer (Senior) at Later (Latergramme) in Vancouver 10-08-2016