UI Designer (Senior)
at Later (Latergramme) in Vancouver
At Later we believe in the power of Images. Images to communicate quickly, Images to connect disparate people, and Images as the best way to convey personal meaning. We also believe software should be so easy to use – you shouldn’t need a manual or a sales demo. We build that software. At Later we are becoming the leading platform for managing visual social-media content.
What are we like to be around? Glad you asked! We are a hard-working, competitive, fun-loving band of miscreants. We have rubber duckies on our desks, KPI’s on our walls and board games and beers tend to be broken out on Fridays.
What we’re looking for:
Our team is growing quickly, we are set to double in size this year. Our applications are used by thousands of people and brands every day, what you do will directly impact their experience. We are looking for a talented UI Designer to join our Product team and help them create amazing user experiences. The ideal candidate should have an eye for clean and artful design, possess superior UI skills and be able to translate high-level requirements into interaction flows and artifacts, and transform them into beautiful, intuitive, and functional user interfaces.
What we value:
Our core cultural values are manifested in our practices and processes every day. We highly value transparency and fairness in everything we do. We look for people who like to move quickly, are ambitious yet humble and have a great sense of humour. If you have a mischievous spark of fun, that’s even better.
- A natural tendency to take initiative, achieve results and generally #GSD.
- A desire to constantly stay organized and create efficiency using technology, bringing order to chaos and uncertainty.
- Teamwork is your middle name. You want to brainstorm with the best of them and are continually looking for ways to do it better.
- A humbleness to recognize that sometimes you’ll need to apologize and admit mistakes (we’re all human after all!)
- Understand and work well in startup culture – be able and willing to take on all sorts of tasks and responsibilities.
We list our values and beliefs first because they are non-negotiable; if you’re still reading then check out some of the responsibilities you will own.
- Design product User Interfaces and Interactions for our Web and Mobile apps
- Interface with our UX team and Product team to turn wireframes, flows, and product requirements into beautiful, intuitive, and easy-to-use UIs.
- Be able to implement Web-based UIs in HTML/CSS, while also dealing and interacting with our UI implementation team
- Interface with our development team and product team to mediate both product and technical requirements in your designs
- Participate in User Testing process, and respond to data gathered from this process
- Iterate on interface improvements using data-driven techniques
Qualifications & Technical Skills:
- BA/MA in Design, Interactive Design, or similar – or equivalent work experience
- 4+ years work experience designing both Web and Mobile User Interfaces and Interactions
- Previous experience rapidly designing, prototyping, and iterating on creative concepts to meet user requirements
- Solid knowledge of implementing designs in HTML/CSS and CSS pre processors
- Previous experience building and optimizing UI libraries and frameworks that are future-proof and scalable
- Understanding of and experience with data-driven UI design iteration
- Bonus: Experience in conducting user testing and an understanding of HCI psychology and science
- Entrepreneurial by nature, you excel in a fast-paced, agile environment where critical thinking and strong problem solving skills are a given
- The tech startup industry is where you want to be. You thrive on the cutting edge and get excited to learn more, push boundaries and innovate every day.
- An avid Instagrammer who loves photos and pictures is a bonus.
What we need from you:
If you think this role might be the next step in your career, we’d love to hear from you. A resume is good, but we want to see your work so please include links to your portfolio and projects and be sure to tell us why this role is for you.
Why choose Later:
Located in Gastown, the startup hub of Vancouver, the Later team enjoys large, airy, open plan offices in a heritage building close to the SeaBus/Skytrain terminal. We don’t want tools to stand in your way, so we offer an allowance to ensure you have exactly what you need for your role. We are pleased to offer all our employees a competitive salary, a chance to participate in the success of the company through equity, medical and dental benefits and a wellness program.
Recent jobs at Later (Latergramme)
- Junior Customer Support & Happiness at Later (Latergramme) in Vancouver 14-11-2016
- UI Design Developer at Later (Latergramme) in Vancouver 26-10-2016
- Communications Designer at Later (Latergramme) in Vancouver 10-08-2016
- Front End Developer (Senior) at Later (Latergramme) in Vancouver 10-08-2016