Product UX Designer at Later
at Later in Vancouver
Later is possibly the fastest growing startup in Vancouver. We work with some of the biggest brands in the world, celebrities, agencies and have 100,000s of people using our product.
Later’s founders are experienced startup veterans with a long history of designing, building, and marketing extremely engaging and highly-used products. We’re attracting the smartest people to join us as we become the leader in visual content marketing.
At Later we believe in the power of Images. Images to communicate quickly, Images to connect disparate people, and Images as the best way to convey personal meaning. We also believe software should be so easy to use – you shouldn’t need a manual or a sales demo. We build that software. At Later we are becoming the leading platform for managing visual social-media content.
What are we like to be around? Glad you asked! We are a hard-working, competitive, fun-loving band of miscreants. We have rubber duckies on our desks, KPI’s on our walls and board games and beers tend to be broken out on Fridays.
What we’re looking for:
Our team is growing quickly, we are set to double in size this year and we are looking for a full time Intermediate-to-Senior Product Designer. As a core member of the Product team, you will be a part of the product design life cycle, from proposing initial concepts to ensuring we ship high quality features.
The primary focus of this role will be on the pre-development stage of Product: feature design, interaction design, prototyping, user-testing, and success-measurement creation and tracking. You are self-motivated with the ability to work in a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous work environment and excel in design, user-psychology, and quantitative analytics.
*What we value: *
Our core cultural values are manifested in our practices and processes every day. We highly value transparency and fairness in everything we do. We look for people who like to move quickly, are ambitious yet humble and have a great sense of humour. If you have a mischievous spark of fun, that’s even better.
*You have: *
- A natural tendency to take initiative, achieve results and generally #GSD.
- A desire to constantly stay organized and create efficiency using technology, bringing order to chaos and uncertainty.
- A humbleness to recognize that sometimes you’ll need to apologize and admit mistakes (we’re all human after all!)
- Understand and work well in startup culture – be able and willing to take on all sorts of tasks and responsibilities.
We list our values and beliefs first because they are non-negotiable; if you’re still reading then check out some of the responsibilities you will own.
- Help define the short and long-term roadmap for our product including: Persona development, user and business goal analysis, workflow.
- Developing user scenarios, navigation flow charts, storyboards, wireframes, mockups and UI functional specifications – for both Web and Mobile.
- User Testing! User testing is a key part of our process, and we do it early – so creating interactive mockups and conducting user testing from those mockups is key.
- Work collaboratively with the design team, marketing and engineers to oversee new user experiences from concept to launch, potentially moving towards acting as PM when needed.
- Constantly evaluate and improve key metrics such as conversion and retention while balancing revenue with an exceptional customer experience.
- Define user specifications, flows, and interaction models.
*Qualifications & Technical Skills: *
- 4+ years experience designing and shipping web and mobile applications
- Degree in HCI, Cognitive Psychology, Human Factors, UI Design/Development or related degree preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Strong visual design skills, solid intuition and passion for interaction design
- Demonstrated experience in user research including usability testing, survey development, heuristic analysis and customer satisfaction measures
- Demonstrated experience using data analytics, web analytics, A/B testing, and other quantitative techniques to evaluate, inform and guide UX design decisions.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills that allow you to clearly communicate design decisions and write user specs
- Proficiency in Prototyping / User testing tools – we use proto.io
- Proficiency in Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, or other design tools
- Technical background or a strong familiarity with software engineering would be a bonus
- An avid Instagrammer who loves photos and pictures is a bonus.
Entrepreneurial by nature, you excel in a fast-paced, agile environment where critical thinking and strong problem solving skills are a given. The tech startup industry is where you want to be. You thrive on the cutting edge and get excited to learn more, push boundaries and innovate every day.
*Why choose Later: *
Located in Gastown, the startup hub of Vancouver, Later is pleased to offer all our employees a competitive salary, a chance to participate in the success of the company through equity, medical and dental benefits and a wellness program.
If you think you might be a great fit with our team, we’d love to hear from you. Send us the link to your online portfolio. A resume is good, but we want to see your work.